Pinterest offers huge potential for businesses offering accommodation. Apart from showcasing your own premises and facilities, Pinterest offers great potential for highlighting the various activities, heritage sites, architecture and everything else of interest to your target market, within your own area. It also provides a vehicle for connecting with potential visitors and networking with other tourism providers. Travel boards account for 2.5% of all Pinterest boards (Repinly.) which although not at popular as crafts or food, is still a significant percentage.
How Hotels, Guesthouses, Self Catering and B&Bs Should Be Using Pinterest
- Ensure that the images on their website are pinnable and of good quality. A ‘pin it’ button on the website is recommended too as it reminds people to pin and gives them your permission too.
- Portrait photographs work better than landscape on Pinterest (longer rather than wider). This is because the anatomy of the Pinterest newsfeed means the photos are shown in columns and the width is set. The length of the photo depends on the photo’s proportions. Longer photos receive more visibility.
- Your images should be strikingly beautiful – the better the photo, the higher the likelihood of getting multiple repins.
- Alternatively, your pins should be useful to others. Examples would include ‘instructographics’, an image with text that promises tips or answers to a ‘how to’ question in a blog post or on a website page. (My image above could be described as an instructographic – I’ve deliberately left the background plain rather than putting text on top of an image but anyone who sees this pin in Pinterest will know exactly what this post is about).
Ideas for Pinterest Boards for Hotels, Self Catering, Guesthouses and B&Bs
- History/Heritage of X Hotel or X Town – share the stories of your establishment or town
- Gems in County X – acting as a mini tourist board will persuade people to come to your area
- Kids Activities in Co. X – if kids are happy, so are the parents
- Relaxation at X – for those looking to get away from it all
- Wine Recommendations – for those interested in good food and wine
- Things To Do In Co. Laois – People like to know there’s plenty of activities to choose from
- Weekend Escapes – targetting those working all week
- Wicklow Weddings – showcase your facilities for weddings.
- Weddings Inspiration – Wedding boards are hugely popular, join in and demonstrate your expertise
- Behind the Scenes at X - show people your community /charity / fun events
- Taste of Summer – show how beautiful and green Ireland can be during the summer
- Celtic Wonders – anything beautiful and wonderful that is Irish
- Irish Castles – Targetting those who love architecture and history
- Our Offers/Packages – reward followers with updates of recent offers
- Our Meals – showcase your food
- Afternoon Teas – another way to showcase your food
- Events at X – showing what is going on in the area
- St Patrick’s Day – a hugely popular board, your target market of ex-pats will love them
- Behind the Scenes at X – share photos of your community or charity events
- Travel Quotes – quotes are extremely popular on Pinterest
- Travel Bloggers – feature travel bloggers and they may reciprocate
- Irish Songs – embrace music via youtube videos too
- Where in Ireland? – encourage engagement and fun by pinning obscure images of Irish buildings and landscapes and people will guess in their comments.
- The Irish Pub – showcase the traditional Irish pubs
- The Colour Green – anything green and beautiful to emphasise the Emerald Isle
- The Great Outdoors – show the beauty of Ireland to entice visitors
- What to do in X in … month/season – have 4 or 12 of these
- Bedrooms at X – showcase your rooms
Advantages of Shared Boards for Tourism Businesses
- As creator a contributor board, you could be viewed as a ‘thought leader’ in that particular area.
- A topical and popular board will result in more repins – see this post for examples of this.
- Create a community, get to know your contributors, give them a chance to get to know you.
- Your pins will reach more people (although the followers of each contributor won’t necessarily be following the shared board), have a higher chance of being repinned and clicked through to your website.
Ideas for Shared Boards on Pinterest
- Gathering Events in Co. X – network with other tourism businesses in your area or county.
- Wicklow Weddings – invite couples to share their wedding photos at your venue
- Your Holiday Memories – invite guests to share their photos
- Travel Tips – invite guests / potential visitors and other tourism businesses to share tips
- Best Golf Courses – invite sports bloggers and golfers
- Irish Recipes – invite Irish restaurants, food bloggers and food producers
- Irish Scenery – invite travel bloggers, guests, other tourism businesses, those living in Ireland
- Christmas at X / Santa Events – invite prospective visitors