If you’ve been wondering about creating a shared board but weren’t sure of the topic, we have 11 ideas to help you in your strategy.
I recently set up a shared board on pinterest inviting others to share their ‘decorating stories’, mostly before and after pictures of upcycled furniture and redecorated rooms. What I have found is that more and more people are following that particular board than any of my other individual boards so it can be a great way to ensure your pins are seen by a wider audience.
I have recently been invited to join shared boards on Irish blogs and on wallpaper – which I will use to promote my own blogs and of course, the wallpapers I sell too.
If you are wondering how to set up a shared board on pinterest – here’s our explanation of how to do it.
Here’s some ideas for type of shared boards that would work well on Pinterest:
1. Travel Agencies – invite clients to share some holiday photos onto a shared board. Encourage your staff to share their photos there too. This encourages interaction with your customers as well as providing photographs of your holiday destinations.
2. Photographers – Creating ideas for a photoshoot and sharing the board with models, stylists and other participants. See how our photographer for the Grafton Media Blog Awards photoshoot used a shared board to inspire the photoshoot.
3. Organising Events: Ask speakers to share photos / slides / videos before the event in order to promote themselves and the event.
4. Organising Exhibitions: Invite exhibitors to share photos of some of their products – this should attract attention from those considering attending the exhibition too.
5. Hotels – Ask guests to share photos of their stay there, of their meal, of the activities they took part in and local places they visited.
6. Travel Agencies – create a shared board for travel tips.
7. Fashion / Retail – ask people to share photos of themselves wearing clothes/accessories from your store. There are so many fashion blogs where people show photos of themselves that I think this would be a popular one.
8. Pet stores – people love showing pictures of their pets so create a shared board for their pets in cute poses or wearing the collars/accessories they purchased from your store.
9. Retail/ Exhibitor – create a shared ‘Trends’ board where people can share pictures they find of the latest trends. It becomes a treasure trove of ideas as well as creating a community feeling within your pinterest account.
10. Wool/Fabric shops – knitting, crochet and patchwork amongst other crafts, have become increasingly popular and people love to share photos of what they have created. Create a shared board for your customers.
11. Bookshops – create a shared board and invite people to submit reviews (link to their blog ) of recent books. Bookclubs could create shared boards too.
12. Weddings – for anything to do with weddings, invite the couple to share pictures of wedding cakes, floral arrangements, wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, honeymoon pictures …… The bride will probably create shared boards to share with her bridesmaids and her photographer at the very least.
Many thanks to Elish of Irish Furniture Fair for discussing the topic of shared boards with me and coming up with some of the ideas above.
Have you created shared boards? Have you found them useful for your business? Do share your experiences with us. I hope these have given you some ideas for how you could create a shared pinterest board for your business.