We are shamelessly co-opting this primer from Chris Brogan as an endorsement for what we write, teach, and blog about on Write On Track each week.
Chris has outlined 21 points (read the entire list here) and we have adapted the following 12 key points to highlight in today’s post.
- Get a blog (Check out our post on WordPress Vs Blogger)
- Pick an area of focus, but one that has broad sides.
- Start writing (See How To Find A Hot Topic For Your Blog)
- Start by planning to publish 1 post a week (Read How Often Should You Blog)
- Make the posts more than 100 words and less than 1000 words most days.
- Delete the sentences that don’t matter.
- Realize that posts that are helpful to others get shared more than posts that are merely interesting.
- Never write a “sorry I haven’t written” post. Ever.
- Posts that just comment on other people’s posts and sum things up aren’t all that interesting.
- Do NOT get hung up on the tech. Get hung up on passion.
- Pictures are a great place to start a post idea (How To Add An Image To Your WordPress Blog)