Your ‘About Us’ page can be your most popular page on your website or blog. However, if it doesn’t impress, you may have lost a potential new customer. How do you impress and yet not bore people by listing all your achievements?
- Do Not Wax Lyrical: The secret is to keep it relatively short. Do not use business jargon to impress but state exactly what you do in short sentences.
- Let Your Personality Shine: Show your personality by providing a little personal information or including some humour. People buy from people and your future clients need to know a little bit more about you before they dial your number or email you.
- Location, Location, Location: It may not be obvious from your website where you are based. If someone has arrived at your blog and are thinking of engaging you, they need to know if you are in the same country or state as they are.
- Storytelling: If you have a story to tell, tell it! If your story reveals your past successes and can demonstrate that you are the best person for a job, tell it! If it reveals your personality and is relatively short, tell it!
- It’s Not All About You: I know it is an ‘about us’ page but don’t forget your customer. As with all your blog posts and other pages, you need to consider your customers needs and wants. Why might they have visited your website and what might they want you to do? They will have a particular need or problem that needs solving so address it. For example, if you are a fashion retailer, you need to demonstrate that you not only sell fashionable clothes but you can help people to choose an outfit for a special occasion, complete with accessories.
- Testimonials: Consider adding snippets from testimonials or a direct link to your testimonials page to reassure readers.
- Encourage Following: Make it easy for visitors to contact you from the About Us page. It is also a good idea to include links to your other social media platforms. They may not contact you today but they may follow you for a while and then decide once you have impressed them by your pinterest prowess or your facebook knowhow.
Potential clients check out your ‘About Us’ page if they have questions that need answering and if they are thinking of hiring you or buying your products. Ensure it helps you clinch the sale.
Writing your ‘About Us’ page is one of the lessons in our ‘Blog for your Business’ online course which starts on 30th September. Do check it out if you would like to improve your business blog.